Business Student Awarded National Scholarship

Peiling (Peggy) Yang, a marketing major with minors in Spanish and graphic design, was awarded the Spring 2018 Gilman Scholarship. Peggy will use the Scholarship to participate in TCNJ’s Center for Global Engagement’s program at the Universidad de Alcalá de Henares in Spain. The US Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is a grant program that affords students the opportunity to study or intern abroad.

Below, Peggy describes why studying abroad is important to her and what she hopes to get out of the program this semester in Spain.

Studying abroad is important to me because it gives a chance to see the world and learn more about who I am as a person. I also look forward to meeting new people and learning new things from other people, as well. Living abroad will also allow me to continue experiencing new cultures. I grew up in Taiwan and moved to America when I was ten, however, I have never been to Europe. Thus, I am really excited to be immersed in the Spanish culture and meet more people in the world.
I will be studying in Alcalá, Spain at the Instituto Franklin de la Universidad de Alcalá. Some of the classes I will be taking are advanced oral proficiency in Spanish, business Spanish, understanding the European Union in Spanish, and international marketing in English. My goal is to become fluent in Spanish while completing my minor in Spain. I am excited to take business classes in Spain as well, and it will count for my major.

I am looking forward to living with a homestay family. I am a commuter at TCNJ, therefore, I’ve never lived with anyone for a long period of time besides my family. I am looking forward to the art museums and architecture in Spain, as well. I hope to immerse myself in the Spanish culture and become more knowledgeable about the world. I’m also excited about the food. I really want to try paella.  I also hope to become more independent and confident in my ability to speak Spanish. I hope to grow and become a better person after I finished studying abroad.

Check back later this semester to read how Peggy’s trip went. She will also send pictures for us to use on the School of Business social media channels!

Contact

School of Business

Business Building, Room 114
The College of New Jersey
P.O. Box 7718
2000 Pennington Rd.
Ewing, NJ 08628

609.771.3064
business@tcnj.edu